When you visit the dentist.
During your check up, we will:
- Check out the status of your oral health and hygiene
- Check to see if there is any evidence of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
- Check to see if a tooth needs to be restored or even replaced
- Evaluate your bite and jaw, checking for any issues
- Do their best to remove any stains or deposits on your teeth
- Will show you how to use proper cleaning techniques for your teeth or dentures
- Take dental X-rays
- And if necessary, perform other diagnostic procedures
At some point during the check-up, the patient will be asked if they are suffering from any health problems, as well as list out what medications they are currently taking. If any of these medications pose a risk to any dental procedure going forward, the dental professional will discuss what options are available to get around the issue.
If the patient has prosthetic replacements, like dentures or bridges, than the dental pro will examine them, and determine if any adjustments need to be made.
A check-up may also include counseling about diet, use of tobacco products and other lifestyle factors that can affect oral health.